Since May 11, 2020, CeGaT offers a CE certified corona antibody test. This test determines whether a person has antibodies against the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. People who have antibodies are assumed to have undergone a coronavirus infection and are highly likely to be immune.
The collection tubes required for the test can be ordered via the web portal www.cegat.com/corona. Also, the free-of-charge blood collection has started on the premises of CeGaT (open Mon-Fri 8 am – 6 pm).
Corona antibody test
- CE certified test for antibodies directed against the S1 domain of the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2
- Required sample material: blood (serum)
- Price per test: EUR 25,- (incl. VAT)
- Blood collection tubes can be ordered (free of charge) via our web portal. These CeGaT tubes are mandatory; other blood collection tubes cannot be accepted for technical reasons.
- Blood collection is also possible on the CeGaT premises (Mon-Fri 8 am -6 pm, no appointment necessary). In this case, CeGaT tubes do not have to be ordered in advance. The blood collection is free of charge.
- Information on the test is also available online at cegat.com/corona.
- A team is now available to answer your questions at email@example.com or +49 7071 5654420.
The current state of knowledge on immunity after a past infection
The chances of immunity against SARS-CoV-2 after recovery from COVID-19 are very high. In a recent study, published in the peer-reviewed journal Cell, 13 of 14 patients that recovered from COVID-19 showed antibodies against the spike protein of the novel coronavirus. The sera of these 13 patients showed anti-viral effects in so-called neutralization assays. This type of cellular assay is considered to be the secure proof that the patients’ antibodies can neutralize the novel coronavirus. The original publication can be found here: https://www.cell.com/immunity/pdf/S1074-7613(20)30181-3.pdf
The specificity of our corona antibody test
CeGaT uses a test procedure developed together with the Reutlingen-based biotechnology company Mediagnost. It detects IgG antibodies directed against the S1 domain of the SARS CoV-2 spike protein. This approach provides the best possible specificity for tests for the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) – as also used e.g. in the Euroimmun test. The Mediagnost assay received CE certification last week.
The data submitted for CE-marking show a sensitivity of >95% and a specificity of almost 99% for the test, based on a cohort size of almost 300 patients. The sensitivity of the test is expected to increase with a longer time interval between disease and conducting the test (3-4 weeks).
Our test provides significantly higher specificity than the rapid antibody tests available today (these have a specificity of only 60-70%). Its specificity is also higher than the specificity of antibody tests that aim to detect antibodies against the protein nucleocapsid: The nucleocapsid protein shows higher similarity to other more harmless corona cold viruses than the S1 domain of the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2. The more similar the protein to be detected is to proteins of closely related viruses, the higher the probability of false-positive results.
We are convinced that with our antibody test, we are offering you a high-quality test that is at the same time inexpensive, very fast, and also available in high-throughput. As always, quality is our top priority.